Saturday, January 12, 2013

Toto 'Fahrenheit'

Toto 'Fahrenheit'
When these guys go for their brand of radio-directed rock, it's just an awful thing, but some of their more R&B-inspired slow-burners are enjoyable. The bouncy nature of the majority of the instrumentation, the inspirational lyrics, the overproduction, the corny vocal stylings (which are comparable to Kenny Loggins, if not worse), all leave me apprehensive to recommend this to anyone in 2013. I maintain a nostalgic reverence for some of the tracks, which somehow always grants tunes we'd otherwise find abhorrent a free-pass. In this instance I may not be a trustworthy source. Fahrenheit is a guilty pleasure for me. I have memories of my father owning and playing it at home, and hearing Toto on the radio regularly as a youth. It was ground into my impressionable child brain. There are some repulsive tracks here, but some legitimately good ones too. These are the goodies: 'Without Your Love,' 'I'll Be Over You,' and the very MJ-influenced 'Somewhere Tonight.'


No comments:

Post a Comment